Wolverines v Mozzies round 3 match report

The Wolverines met last season’s beaten grand finalists Manchester on the back of improving performances but were however yet to record a point on the ladder. By contrast, Manchester had won both their previous games and were already eyeing up another tilt at the Premiership.

The Mozzies began brightly, kicking with the wind at their backs and playing with the confidence and verve of an unbeaten side. They kicked five goals in this first quarter, with another seven shots scoring single points. In contrast, the Wolverines managed only two behinds kicking into the wind. Time would tell how many goals this strong breeze was actually worth as the home defence worked tirelessly to keep the scores to a minimum; Andrew Evans-Elson and Nick Foxall in particular.

The wind failed to die down heading into the second and the Wolverines began to trouble the scorers as Oli Hobin slotted through, as did Craig Degville and Jack Tift. Cameron Cope and Adam Morris began to take the game by the scruff of the neck in midfield with Jack Tift for the Wolverines and Chris Britton for the Mozzies electric and battling around every contest. The Wolverines forward line of Gedney, Jones and Bartle made the Mozzies defence work equally hard to minimise the score. In return for their resolute defence, the Mozzies registered a major to keep the Wolverines at arms length. The Mozzies led at half time by 16 points; 3.9.27 to 6.7.43.

The so-called ‘premiership quarter’ began in much the same fashion as the others so far; the side kicking with the wind taking their chances to register scores at every opportunity. Crucially however, the Wolverines managed to register a few goals of their own against the wind. Hobin, Degville and Mitchell all registered to counter the Mozzies scores led by the experienced Wielgosz. Maddox gave the Wolverines midfield good run and pressure as they dug deep to try to stem the Mozzies attacks. Rushed behinds and smothered shots were a common sight.

As the fourth and final quarter began there were approximately four goals between the teams. The home side began to up the intensity again, the Mozzies fought back at every opportunity. As the pressure grew, what seemed to be simple chances for both sides went begging. Set shots in front of the posts and snapped chances from tight angles added to the pressure score-by-score. As the final siren sounded neither team knew who had come out on top. As handshakes were exchanged between players and officials the goal umpires met to decide each teams’ fate; the tension mounted and players waited in near silence. The goal umpires had differing final scores; one with a small victory for the Mozzies and other a tie! The result went to the league to decide and it was deemed a draw. This is the second draw in this competition following Sheffield’s nail-biter with Birmingham last season.

Final scores tied at 9.15.69 each.


Posted on May 14, 2014, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: